A unique integrated National Qualifications Framework for life-long learning is being established in the Republic of Serbia, and it will encompass all levels and types of qualifications, regardless of age in which they are acquired and the method of acquiring them (via formal or non-formal education or informal education, i.e. life or work experience). The fundamental role of NQFS will be to enable a better overview, transparency and comprehension of the existing qualifications systems (e.g. qualifications system of university education, qualifications system of vocational secondary education and other systems).
The purpose of NQFS is the regulation and improvement of the qualifications system in accordance with the requirements of social and economy development, and providing support to applying the concept of life-long learning and enabling easier mobility of workforce.
In accordance with this, goals of establishing NQFS are as follows:
- providing comprehensibility, clear overview and transparency of qualifications, as well as their interconnections;
- development of qualifications standards based on the requirements of labour market and society as a whole;
- providing the orientation towards learning outcomes;
- improving the approach, flexibility of paths and mobility in the formal and non-formal education;
- providing the recognition of non-formal and informal learning;
- improving collaboration between relevant stakeholders;
- providing quality system within the process of development and acquiring qualifications;
- providing comparability and recognition of qualifications acquired in the Republic of Serbia with qualifications acquired in other states.